TechWire rewind: RTP expansions; NASA astronaut Q&A; Epic vs Apple & Google – 80 stories in all – WRAL Tech Wire
As Monday morning rolls in, we’re providing TechWire readers with a quick recap of the past week’s news headlines.
Notable news stories from last week included: Boston biotech firm Beam Therapeutics plans to build an $83 million manufacturing facility in RTP, adding over 200 high-paying jobs; multinational ag company UPL Limited is opening a new R&D hub in RTP; fintech firm Retirement Clearinghouse is expanding its HQ in Charlotte with 300 new jobs; NASA astronaut and NCSU graduate Christina Koch won the Global ATHENA Leadership Award – read more in our exclusive Q&A; Raleigh software firm Pendo ranked No. 26 on the latest Inc. 5000, and several NC life science firms also made the list; Cary-based Epic Games escalated its ongoing battle with Apple and Google over in-app purchases, now suing the tech giants; Charlotte “unicorn” AvidXchange raised $119 million.
Several North Carolina companies landed new funding last week, including Raleigh-based WalletFi ($85,000), Durham-based ServiceTrade ($49 million), Old Fort-based Kitsbow ($850,000), Wilmington-based LifeGait ($200,000) and Charlotte-based AvidXchange ($119 million). Read more local startup news in our weekly Startup Rewind and Startup Spotlight editions.
And, in national news: Hong Kong pro-democracy media tycoon Jimmy Lai was arrested under China’s new national security law; the price of Bitcoin is now trading at its highest level in a year; Airbnb is reportedly planning to go public; Cisco is planning to cut $1 billion in expenses, including layoffs.
Keeping with our Monday “TechWire Rewind” tradition, here’s a look back at 80 local, state and national headlines as reported by WRAL TechWire last week:
MONDAY | August 10 Headlines:
- Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway rebounds from COVID-19 impact – here’s what happened
- Could an NC mall land an Amazon distribution hub? Here’s the latest
- Former Intel exec to be new CEO of Semiconductor Research Corporation
- Global agriculture company UPL unveils new ‘OpenAg’ hub in RTP
- GRO, a new incubator program for startups from CED, launches on Oct. 5
- Media tycoon, pro-democracy supporter arrested under new Hong Kong security law
- NC headliners: Here’s a breakdown on 44 events & webinars happening statewide this month
- On the NC event horizon: Scores of events, deadlines set for Sept. – here’s our exclusive guide
- Pandemic wrecks global Class of 2020’s hopes for first job
- Raleigh fintech startup WalletFi, founded by UNC-CH grad, raises more cash
- Specialized clinics could ‘flatten curve’ of pandemics, influenza outbreaks, NCSU study finds
- Startup Rewind: From Epic’s huge funding to exclusive interview with CED’s top exec, recapping a busy entrepreneurial week
- Startup Spotlight: Former Leadership Triangle exec launches venture aiming to be ‘master of reinvention’
- TechWire rewind: Epic $17.3B valuation; Black-owned businesses land grants; Triangle startups raise cash + many more
- Triangle headliners: Previewing 59 events & program deadlines through Aug.
- Triangle meetups: Here’s your guide to 140+ local groups to join
- Triangle Startup Guide keeps growing with more accelerators, COVID-19 relief resources
- Video: Duke researchers demonstrate effectiveness of masks in pandemic fight
TUESDAY | August 11 Headlines:
- Astronaut, NCSU graduate receives Global ATHENA Leadership Award during live SAS webinar
- Beam Therapeutics to build $83M manufacturing facility in RTP, create hundreds of jobs
- David Gardner: Social media, censorship, freedom of speech and the truth
- Drone firm PrecisionHawk secures two patents for collision avoidance technology
- Durham medtech startup Deep Blue receives FDA clearance for hernia mesh product
- Durham SaaS startup ServiceTrade adds to its coffers, bringing total funding to $49M
- Hong Kong pro-democracy newspaper vows to keep operating despite founder’s arrest
- Liquidia losses exceed analysts’ expectations but CEO sees progress
- Loading Dock coworking and incubator space getting a home in downtown Wake Forest
- Pentagon to free up wireless spectrum for commercial use of 5G
- Retirement Clearinghouse to expand HQ in Charlotte, adding 300 jobs
- Sports clothing startup Kitsbow, with HQ in Old Fort, raises $850,000
- UNC-Chapel Hill startup develops ‘error-free’ dose measurement for pediatric patients
- What’s on Wall Street horizon? Schools, elections, COVID-19 vaccine to affect landscape ‘substantially’