TechWire Rewind: Cisco employees fear layoffs; IBM announces spinoff; NC companies raise cash + more news from last week – WRAL Tech Wire
As Monday morning rolls in, we’re providing TechWire readers with a quick recap of the past week’s news headlines.
Notable news stories from last week included: RTP tech and life science incubator First Flight Venture Center landed a $125,000 grant from the Small Business Administration’s FAST program; three North Carolina companies landed $200,000 from Google for Startups’ Black Founders Fund; Cisco employees remain in the dark over potential layoffs; Burlington-based LabCorp received an Emergency Use Authorization from the FDA for its new COVID-19 test; a statewide survey found that 73% of NC companies have given salary increases this year; IBM announced a new spinoff company, NewCo.
A few local companies secured new funding last week, including Durham-based ScitoVation ($50,000), Raleigh-based EternaTear ($4.9 million) and Morrisville-based Clinipace ($4 million). Read more local startup news in our weekly Startup Rewind edition.
And, in national news: President Donald Trump’s COVID-19 recovery and the status of stimulus negotiations had a heavy influence on Wall Street last week; the Supreme Court heard the Google v. Oracle copyright case; Congress is calling for more antitrust action against tech giants.
Keeping with our Monday “TechWire Rewind” tradition, here’s a look back at 84 local, state and national headlines as reported by WRAL TechWire last week:
MONDAY | October 5 Headlines:
- Arts, architecture, culture abound on the Crystal Coast
- ECU professor lands patent for treating Restless legs syndrome
- Events ‘on the horizon’ in November: Venture135, NC IDEA Ecosystem Summit, RIoT Demo Night + more across NC
- Experimental antibody treatment in clinical trials at Duke University similar to one President Trump received
- First Flight Venture Center lands $125K from SBA’s FAST Award program
- From cybersecurity to sales to AI, there’s a meetup for everyone in the Triangle
- Gov. Cooper gets kudos from top biotech trade organization
- Gregory Ng: I’m a CEO and nap during every workday. Here’s why you should, too
- How this Triangle co-working franchise is turning a corner during the pandemic
- Investors buoyed by positive reports about Trump’s recovery
- Microsoft invests big in Greece with $1B data center
- Morrisville Chamber taps veteran non-profit exec as new president
- NC headliners: 80+ events happening across the state in October
- Preferred Office Properties hopes to re-energize downtown Raleigh with latest acquisition
- Some online learning programs accused of containing racist, sexist content
- Startup Rewind: Recapping capital raises, acquisitions, grant news + more headlines from last week
- TechWire Rewind: Local leaders weigh in on Epic v. Apple; NC startups raise cash; stock market uncertainty + more news
- This fintech startup is taking aim at big banks. Here’s how
- Triangle headliners: 104 events & program deadlines for your October calendar
- Triangle Startup Guide updates: COVID-19 resources, a new NC IDEA grant program & more support for local entrepreneurs
- Winston-Salem surgeon addresses mask shortage by launching a company