TechWire rewind: NC last in COVID-19 support; LabCorp cuts; PPP loans + 82 more headlines – WRAL Tech Wire
As Monday morning rolls in, we’re providing TechWire readers with a quick recap of the past week’s news headlines.
The coronavirus pandemic continued to dominate news coverage last week. A new round of loans was made available to small businesses; Enterprise Holdings is laying off nearly 900 workers across NC; new usage of healthcare and education software has spiked; a WalletHub study ranks NC last for COVID-19 support; new data shows NC lagged in COVID-19 loan support for small businesses; LabCorp is taking cost-cutting actions including furloughs, delayed hiring and reduced hours; Cree’s CEO is optimistic about sales; NC tech execs expect an economic rebound starting in August.
In non-COVID news: A Durham dental software startup raised $1.25 million in new funding and will be expanding its local staff; NC IDEA announced 16 startups will receive $160,000 in funding from its NC IDEA MICRO grant program; Amazon, which hired 95,000 people in April, is still looking for workers in NC; 9 Meters Biopharma, the result of a merger between Innovate Biopharmaceuticals and RDD Pharma, officially launched in Raleigh; Raleigh’s Reveal Mobile landed $2 million in funding and secured a patent for its new technology.
Some TechWire news: Today, we’re launching a new column that summarizes local startup news coverage over the past week. Digests will be published on Mondays. You can read the first edition here.
And, in national news: LabCorp made its antibody tests available nationwide; Google reported its weakest revenue growth in nearly five years; U.S. stocks increased as Gilead Sciences announced positive results for its remdesivir treatment; Microsoft earnings beat analysts’ expectations, as demand for cloud services is skyrocketing; Americans are saving cash at record rates; Apple’s profit dipped slightly while revenues rose last quarter; Berkshire Hathaway reported its biggest loss ever for Q1 2020.
Keeping with our Monday tradition, here’s a look back at 85 local, state and national headlines as reported by WRAL TechWire last week:
MONDAY | April 27 Headlines:
TUESDAY | April 28 Headlines:
- 16 early-stage startups across state land $160,000 in NC IDEA grants
- CED’s three-part Venture Connect Online program is coming up – here’s a preview
- Central Carolina Community College cracks Top 50 national list
- Contact tracing, COVID-19 and you – What you need to know
- Drug shows promise against COVID-19, says RedHill, which has US HQ in Raleigh
- Duke lands federal grant to see if Ebola test can detect COVID-19 antigens
- Earnings reports mixed for IQVIA, Pfizer, Merck, Deutsche Bank in days of COVID-19
- Epic news: Its tech could boost Hollywood movie shoots; Fortnite $2M tourney; 27.7M tune in rapper
- Former Pendo exec joins Indianapolis startup MetaCX which just landed $14M
- Here’s what COVID-19 has taught us – so far- about our society and economy
- LabCorp COVID-19 antibody tests available nationwide with no upfront costs
- Location data startup Reveal Mobile in Raleigh lands patent, $2M in new funding
- Navigating the ‘great pause’: UNC’s online series extended as demand increases
- Study: North Carolina ranks dead last in COVID-19 pandemic support
- Tech today: IBM dividend boost; Red Hat growth; NetApp’s AI startups; Lenovo-Linux; FirstNet tops 1M
- Tesla: Autopilot update includes checking for traffic signals, stop signs
- ‘True retail apocalypse is upon us now,’ warns UNC business professor
- Unemployed because of COVID-19? Here are jobless benefits you can receive